Wednesday, August 18, 2010

head on fire

For those who know, the doctor across the street (whose main branch clinic is far far away in Whampoa, very near zs house), is a total dick to me.

The last 2 times i have gone to seen him with REAL ailments, in fact, REAL PAINFUL ailments, he has treated me like a goddamn blue collar slacker looking for a quick 1-day mc frm an otherwise productive week.

Just thinking abt the last time he strolled into the clinic at 9am holding a steaming packet of cha kuey tiao makes my blood boil. And yes, he still treated me like an mc addict.

And as fate would have it, I got sick.

REALLY sick.

Must've been the weather, or the stress from work, or the fact that I walked in the rain wearing only a windbreaker, getting my shoes and pants soaked and STILL going to cold (COLD) storage to do grocery shopping and THEN lugging all that stuff back to the apartment AND THEN going downstairs to the gym and THEN coming back up to have a sushi dinner eventho i hadnt had lunch for that day. Oooh, i dont know?

Anyway, i was already feeling a little unwell, but i didnt think it'd spike to such a powerful fever. Yeap, i was in a aircon room and i was already burning up on the forehead. I swear i couldve popped popcorn on it. And yet, i was all cold and clammy. I knew this was bad, so i wrapped myself in all the blankets i had went straight to bed, at 930pm.

I woke up at 2am. Just looking at the clock, i decided right then and there, OKAY, im DEFINITELY calling in sick tml. I stumble out of my room, for a drink, only to discover, to my absolute horror that SOMEONE had stolen the water container and taken it to their room. Whoever did it forced me to drink tapwater at 2am in the morning, with a fucking high fever. THANKS A LOT.

Wokeup the next day at 833am. Shiok. Fever had almost completely gone away by then.

But i still went to see the damn doctor. And this time, it was gonna be war. I would be a total dick to him this time, and we'd see how the cookie crumbles.

So i waltz into the doc's office right away (no other patients).

Doctor looks at me and at my patient history card, "So... ... what's wrong?"

I look him deadpanned, "I need an mc."

Doctor puts down my card, "Oh? For what?"

Me: "For work."

Doctor: "No i mean the illness? What made you sick?"

Me: "Ohh, a fever, some body pains, dizziness. Stuff like that."

Doctor: "Let's take ur temperature."

He takes my temperature. Nods as he looks at the number. Before he can comment further, i ask with intentional nonchalance, "So can i have my mc?"

Doc: "Erm... yeah... erm... for fever eh? okaaay... fever. fever. I'll give you some pills. Take all. If anything else happens, you come back ok?"

Me: "Yeah yeah."

I get up to leave. Just as i open the door and proceed to leave, he calls out again, "Come back if still bad ok?"

I dont even reply.

But nevertheless, i STILL had to go back to work later around lunchtime. Stuff that needs to be done, well, needs to be done.

No comments: