Tuesday, June 28, 2011

an egg-ception

Today, after I paid for my groceries and left, I accidentally dropped a packet of eggs.

This is just outside Carrefour. Please don't imagine the worse. It didnt spill out of my bag, and plunge to the floor over a metre in height and splatter all over. No. This was just a simple tumble - it rolled over about 5cm and that was it. Nevertheless, i checked, and while my mom assumed only 1 egg to be broken, I knew what I saw. 3 eggs had been cracked and this is just mere MINUTES after paying for them.

And it just occurs to me - This is the first time I've ever broken an egg accidentally immediately after buying them.

I mean, seriously. And while I knew this was just eggs, for some reason it struck a chord.

I remember going to the market with my mom when I was 7-8 years old. And my mom would hand me a huge square carton of eggs and say "Don't break them, okay?" Which in child's language, translates to "If you break these, I will break YOU."

And I remember walking at a snails pace with the carton of eggs right in front of me, not taking my eyes off of them as mom would weave around the veggie stalls.

Even on the ride home, as I sat in the front, I'd throw a glance behind each time the car came to a stop a traffic light and I heard the carton move as the car lurched. It was nerve-wracking.

And when we got home, I'd set the eggs on the kitchen counter and disappear to a corner of the house furthest from the carton. I mean, in case anything happened, I wanted to make sure I was as far away from suspicion as possible.

Fast forward 20 years to today, and when I think about it, im STILL paranoid when I buy eggs. I stack them up right in the corner of the shopping cart, build a wall of soft items (bread, fruits) around it. And it's also the last thing I unload when paying.

If I buy eggs that day at the supermarket, I take a taxi home. I'd never risk a bus ride, especially during the rush hour, even if I have to pay the peak period surcharge. To me, it'd be worth it.

I have no idea why. I must be crazy.

Pls tell me I'm not alone.

No comments: