Sunday, December 30, 2012

a thoughtful soliloquy to the Cloud Atlas

On the way back from a particularly tiresome tennis session, I scrolled through the best and most informative news on the internet - Yahoo! News, and my thumb, inexplicably landed on an article.

At first glance, it seemed to be nothing but a mindless review that news sites often put up to stir a few extra views - it was labelled "25 best movies of 2012". I obliged and earned the writer a few more cents by tapping the link.

I scrolled through the listings. And i was astonished  The Dark Knight Rises was no where on the list. But remember a title on it. A title that I had heard reviews of months earlier - mostly negative and uninteresting.

The movie was called "Cloud Atlas".

And for some reason, that stayed with me.

Even now, as I have finished my lunch, slumped into my chair for a brief relaxation internet session, that title has stayed with me. I inexplicably listened to the soundtrack, the trailer and even now, I'm typing this and narrating this in my head with Tom Hanks' voice.

I am finding myself... drawn... to this movie, the novel and it's concept - the idea of an evolution of a soul. That perhaps the random decisions made in my life have come from a previous life and previous *me*, and that all those versions, all those past *me*s - the entirety of their existence, their experiences, their heartbreaks, triumphs, tears and joys, may have contributed to my taking a left instead of a right at a particular bend in the road.

The idea, also, of inevitability is particularly heartwarming - that no matter how or what happens, no matter the barriers, the distances and the obstacles - if we are meant to be, then it will be. It may take us a few mistakes, a few *lifetimes* worth of mistakes, but in the end, we will be. Either in this life or the next, or the next, and the next.

"Yesterday, I believe I would never have done what I did today. I feel like something important has happened to me."

I'll watch this movie - and we shall see if it deserves that spot on that list.

No comments: