Monday, May 25, 2009

freshly baked...

I cannot remember the last time I felt *that* excited before a match. Eventhough i had faced this same guy countless times. The difference was that, this time, i had something to prove to myself.

Over the past few months, my focus had shifted, and so did my game. Slowly, the scored crept up. A long time ago, i had beat this friend of mine 6-0. A score that is defined in tennis as a Bagel.

A week later, it was 6-1, called a Breadstick, but it still didnt matter.

Then came a short couple of days in which, i pulled a muscle in my lower back. Not a big issue. Just a minor strain from the gym. I could still move and walk and lift, i just had to take a short break from serving.

When i came back, the serve felt good. But i was wrong. When my friend and i played a match again, i found myself struggling. My serve... lacked bite. It wasnt heavy. It wasnt fast. Hell, it wasnt even that accurate anymore.

And coming from a guy whom my fellow tennis khakis called "Mr Sampras" (im not kidding), it was heartbreaking.

I won that match 6-4. It was CLOSE. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo close that even when i had won, i didnt know it. I was still in minor panic mode. Neve before had i been afraid to serve. This time, it was bad.

The reason was simple, the minor sprain on my back was still in my head. Eventhough i was fully recovered physically, mentally though, i was no where.

And that's where Friday came in. Towing my bags to nus, in the blazing hot sun, the heat exhaustion made me forget that i had ever had a back problem.

And on Sunday, it all came back. Serve after serve after serve. It felt great. It felt GOOD.

The score was back at 6-0. But all credit to my friend, he was a real challenge.

Time to bake more bagels.

And for some reason, the day after, which was a Sunday, saw me UNNATURALLY fresh in the morning. Like i just had a good fuck the night before.

Song of the day is back to "Falling Down" by Oasis. I cant stop listening to that song. It is awesome

No comments: