Monday, December 8, 2008

the alphabet of a racquet addict...

A: Athletics. I spend 30-45min per week on pure athletic training.
B: Backhand. One of my fav shots and its the strongest in my group.
C: Crosscourt. The most underrated of directions to place a shot.
D: Down-the-line. A finishing shot or a typical approach shot.
E: Eye. Keep it on the ball. Not the girls.
F: Footwork. I spend 30min a week on footwork training.
G: Gut. My string of choice.
H: Hardcourt. The most common surface in Singapore.
I: Intercept. One of my fav tennis plays that involves intercepting a weak cross court on the rise for a down the line winner.
J: Jab. A special type of dropshot used in Squash.
K: Kill. A type of Squash shot that is used to finish a point.
L: Let. A squash call where your opponent unintentionally comes between you and the ball. The point is restarted.
M: Masterclass. A term used when you have effortlessly pulled off almost every known shot in the book to win a match. Federer does this often and everyone else wants to.
N: Net play. Squash made me good at this and i apply it to tennis.
O: Opportunistic. It pays to be this way in any racquet sport.
P: Placement. The most important thing to remember when hitting the ball.
Q: Quicken. Another of my tennis plays where i play slower shots and then suddenly hit 1 or 2 fast shots on the rise, while moving into the court to break a slow rhythm.
R: Round the World. A defensive boast (a shot type) in squash where the ball touches all four walls.
S: Serve. My fav and strongest shot that i practice day-in-day-out.
T: T-position. The centre of your half of the tennis court, or centre of a squash court. If you can make it here, it usually means that you are in a dominant position.
U: Up the T. The serve that usually earns me a free point or an ace outright.
V: Volley. An aggressive shot that involves hitting the ball before it bounces. One of the most rewarding shots in tennis/squash to play.
W: Win. The aim of the game.
X: X-treme. I just put xtreme here bcos i had nothing else to put. lol...
Y: Yank. The last of my fav plays where I play a shot that is short and low to "yank" the other guy into no man's land so that i can hit a deep shot for a win.
Z: Zoom. The sound that my serve makes as it goes past you.

No comments: