Tuesday, January 26, 2010

who watches the watchmen watch news, man??

Chris Wong's journal. January 22nd 2010. Tonight, a sultan died in JB.

Sorry i couldnt resist. Watchmen rawks.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to show respect for our state's sultan. But dont get me wrong, i have no ill will towards the late sultan of Johor. My condolences to his family and all his loved ones. May he rest in peace.

What pissed me to the extent of screaming outside of the JB customs, was that the M'sian media decided to plaster it onto the face of every single channel, newspaper, shop, street, bus stop and commercial.

It was like Jesus died again.

I came back on Saturday for lunch with my mom, sushi preferred, and then we'd go for some new year's shopping.

But N-O-P-E, said the media, "Your sultan just died. Forget about that shit."

And just like that City Square turn into a ghost town. The only shop open that day was MacDonalds. Ironic.

No one was allowed to wear bright "happy" colors. No chinese new year songs. No shops were to be opened. No restaurants. No food. If you did any of the above, you'd be fined by the police.

Charming.

I've always hated chinese new year songs bcos they are terribly uncreative. But for the first time ever, i felt like winding the windows down, putting an old tape into the radio and BLASTING THE SPEAKERS.

"DONG DONG DONG CHIANG! DONG DONG DONG CHIANG! GONG XI AH GONG XI GUO XING NIAN!!"

Or some shit like that. Just to spite the police and the media and their fucking ridiculous regimes. By the way, just to seal the deal, Allah = God. Now start a protest, burn a church, why dont you? Nothing better to do? You really need attention THAT much eh?

For a good 2 hours or so, people had to stop their tv shows and watch a son mourn a father on public television. As tears streamed down his face and he took his pledge and all, I actually decided to pick up a nearby Women's Weekly and read it, eventhough it was last year's issue.

I came back to be with my family, relax, enjoy myself and help my mom forget that she's all along at home while my dad's in India - not to moan and mourn and be reminded of my mortality.

I wanna pretend for a moment that i'd live forever. Fucking forever young.

On a lighter note, Sunday's tennis was awesome. YJ brought over some "female blood" as he describes it. Apparently she was supposed to "Kick my ass. Really hard." And i beat yj in another tiebreak. Try again next week. Hehehe...

No comments: